• To equip students with the skills and techniques of the psychodynamic model: to develop a therapeutic relationship and to respond and interpret appropriately within it.
• To enable students to work with clients towards the goal of psychodynamic counselling: the resolution of conflicts through insight reached in a therapeutic relationship.
• To inform students of the limits and context of the psychodynamic approach so that they can critically assess the psychodynamic model that is taught as the core theoretical model of the programme
• To equip students to work as reflective practitioners.
• To enable students to evaluate the theoretical rationale for the body of techniques used in this field and to add to the understanding of what constitutes best practice.
• To enable students to communicate about the subject area.