Continuing Professional Development
We are in the process of improving the Online CPD system. We will let you know once this work is completed so you can start recording your CPD activities undertaken during 2018 CPD year.
Some of the improvements that we are making are;
- Allowing login either by using either username or email address (you still need to remember your password).
- To enable you to edit your CPD record, so that if you want to make any changes to your CPD activities already recorded, you can go back and change them.
- Improving the speed of loading up pages.
- Minimise the risk of multiple clicks and multiple submissions.
We will let you know once this work is completed so you can start recording your CPD activities undertaken during 2018 CPD year.
Important changes to CPD Guidelines
- Countersignatory requirement for Psychodynamic category. It was agreed by the BPC Executive that the Psychodynamic category (including Psychodynamic counsellors) can be countersigned by a BPC registered Psychoanalytic/Jungian Analytic practitioner qualified for at least 5 years or a BPC registered Psychodynamic practitioner in the same category of registration, qualified for at least 5 years.
- There are a small number of pre-arranged agreements where non-BPC countersignatures are being accepted. However, from 1 January 2018, if you are seeing a non-BPC colleague for regular supervision, you must also consult with a BPC registrant who will need to countersign your CPD return. The consultation will need to be for a minimum of four (50 minute) sessions during the relevant CPD year and can be done in a variety of ways; in person, via Skype or phone. This means you could continue to see a supervisor who was for example UKCP or BACP registered but would, in addition, need to have a BPC registered counter-signatory.
We will not accept non-BPC countersignatures for the 2018 CPD year (i.e. for inclusion in the 2019/20 Register) and you should be starting to think about making suitable arrangement in advance. However, this will not affect child related categories (child psychotherapy, children, adolescent and family and institutional settings) where we will continue to accept Association of Child Psychotherapists (ACP) countersignatures.
Please select the ‘Deferred’ category if you are currently not seeing patients at all. This category applies to clinicians taking a sabbatical (maternity/paternity leave, sick leave, study leave etc.) and so would not be expected to comply with BPC CPD requirements. Please specify online the reason of your deferral using the drop-down option menu.
Please note that deferred registrants are not able to countersign CPD returns and their details do not appear on ‘Find a Therapist’ search engine.
NHS (Only) Category
This applies if you do not practise independently, and work under NHS governance. Please note that if you practice within NHS settings you are eligible to countersign CPD returns.
Please note that NHS (Only) registrants details do not appear on ‘Find a Therapist’ search engine.
Please contact the office to discuss your situation.
Supervisor / Teacher category
You may opt to register under this category if you do not practise independently, but wish to continue to supervise and teach within courses which require you to be active BPC registrants, and you wish to have a role as counter-signatory for CPD returns. Registrants who practice under NHS settings who wish to countersign CPD returns also can register under this category. Registrants who are applying to register under this scheme for the first time should inform their Member Institutions and submit a letter to the BPC Professional Standards Committee explaining your situation.
This is a pilot scheme. You may opt to register under this category if you are winding down your practice or have very limited clinical work, such as seeing a returning patient.
Registration under this category is limited to a period of 5 years, and a maximum of 120 hours of clinical practice /patient contact per annum. Registrants will be required to have insurance and clinical trustees in order to register under this category. Registrants who are interested in this scheme should inform their Member Institutions and submit a written application to the BPC Professional Standards Committee.