Introduction to Counselling and PsychotherapyBook tickets
Are you thinking of training as a counsellor or psychotherapist but have lots of questions? If so, this online two-part A Taste of Training will help you explore what therapy training involves and what it can lead to. This experiential event offers the opportunity to explore your own motivations for training and busts the myths about therapy training.
Here are some of the questions which are addressed at A Taste of Training.
Why do this workshop?
1. Do I want to be a counsellor or a psychotherapist? What is the difference between counselling andpsychotherapy? Are psychotherapists like psychiatrists? What is the difference between a psychotherapist and a psychologist?
2. What does psychodynamic mean? Isn’t that Freud? How do I know what model of therapy is right for me? If I do the introductory course at WPF Therapy can I go on to train somewhere else?
3. What does it take to be a good therapist? How do I know if it’s right for me? What qualities do I need to have?
4. Why should I come to WPF Therapy rather than go somewhere else?
By the end of the workshop we hope that you will have answers to many of the above questions, or if not, a clear direction. You will also:
1. Have a clearer understanding of what a psychotherapy training involves and specifically what is required of you on the introductory course at WPF Therapy.
2. Have a basic understanding of the psychodynamic model of therapy and how this relates to other theoretical models such as humanistic, CBT and integrative therapy etc.
3. Have begun to explore how you relate to others and to yourself and why therapy training requires deep, personal work.
4. Have a greater appreciation of the skills involved in active listening and how these are developed on the introductory course at WPF Therapy.
The course will be taught online using a variety of techniques including discussion in small and large groups and paired exercises. The two days will be broken down into 4 segments although there may be some changes depending on the group.
Session 1. The Mystery of Psychotherapy
We will look at the differences between psychology, psychiatry, psychotherapy and counselling. What are the different models of counselling and psychotherapy and where does psychodynamic psychotherapy sit on that spectrum? We will also explore what we need to think about if we want to train.
Session 2 Psychodynamic Concepts- Is this perspective for you?
A basic introduction to psychodynamic concepts. Is the psychodynamic the model for us, or are other options better suited to our personalities?
Session 3- Our emotional world
We will begin to explore ideas of emotional intelligence and our reflective capacity. What qualities does a counsellor or therapist need and is this really what I want to do?
Session 4- Communication and therapy today
Where does therapy and counselling belong in today’s world? What jobs are there at the end of the training? What will I learn at WPF Therapy and is it the right place for me to begin this journey?
Please note that you must attend both sessions. If you do not attend the first session we regret that you will not be able to attend the second session. Before applying please make sure that you are able to attend both.
Target Audience: This course will be of interest if you want to learn more about counselling, therapy or psychotherapy training and/or you wish to develop counselling skills in your current work. No previous knowledge is required.
Comments from previous Taster Days:
“Thought provoking and fascinating.”
“Very clear and encouraging.”
“Very informative, both about WPF as well as psychotherapy generally.”
Applications must be received by Thursday, 3 May 2021.
If you apply for the Foundation Certificate in Counselling Skills starting within one year of ‘A Taste of Training’, we will waive the course selection fee.
If you experience any problems please e-mail email@example.com.