Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy NOW 2015
Getting to Grips with Society's Ills: A Psychoanalytic Perspective
Holiday Inn, Kensington Forum, London
This year’s PP NOW conference will address the themes of Conflict, Poverty and Trauma, showcasing the impact that psychodynamic and psychoanalytic thinking can bring to a better understanding of some of the major social issues affecting society today.
Plus special Friday night lecture (separate ticketed event)
Competition and Capitalism: counting the human and societal cost
George Monbiot (Guardian columnist and author of books such as Captive State), Nick Pearce (Director of the Institute for Public Policy Research and former head of the No 10 Policy Unit) and BPC Chair Julian Lousada will discuss many of the issues raised by this subject. The lecture will be chaired by Helen Morgan, BPC Chair Elect.
More information and booking for the Friday evening PP NOW Lecture here
Venue: Tuke Hall, Regent's University, London
PP NOW Conference - Programme
Coffee and registration
Welcome and introduction: Gary Fereday, Chief Executive, BPC
Keynote Session: A Psychological Look at Terrorism
The plenary presentation will illustrate the psychology of an “encapsulated” religious fundamentalism, the story of a
religious cult. Using this story as a stepping stone Dr Volkan examines the psychology of “globalized” extreme fundamentalist religious terrorism. focusing on the fusion of individual and large-group identities and how people can exhibit extreme sadism and masochism under the impact of large-group identity.
Keynote speaker: Vamik Volkan, Emeritus Professor of Psychiatry, University of Virginia
Coffee break (tea and coffee available all day)
1. Social disorder, Marginalisation and Gang Culture
2. Domestic Violence and Hateful Relationships
3. Psychotic Systems
4. Emotional Poverty
1. Antisocial Personality Disorder - New Directions
2. Perversion, Violence and Criminality - Child sexual abuse
3. Poverty and the Psychological Impact of Money
4. War and Modern Conflict
Closing Plenary: Panel discussion reflecting on the key themes of the day and dialogue with the audience
With panel members Julian Lousada and Jean Knox
Reception and Awards Ceremony
Presentation of the PP NOW 2015 Awards
- Innovative Excellence Award
- Outstanding Professional Leadership Award
- Bernard Ratigan Award for Psychoanalysis and Diversity
PP NOW will be held at the Holiday Inn, Kensington Forum, London on Saturday 6 June, preceded by the public lecture on Friday 5 June at Tuke Hall, Regent's University. The Holiday Inn Kensington is conveniently located near Gloucester Road underground station.
Payment and Registration Methods for the PP NOW Conference
- Book online using PayPal for the PP NOW conference here
- Book online using debit or credit cards please click here
- If paying by cheque or BACS, please download the registration form here
- Payment can also be made, over the phone using a credit or debit card please contact the BPC office (0207 561 9240)
Download a registration form here or click here to pay online via PayPal.
Using the PayPal payment option on this page incurs a surcharge to cover PayPal’s processing fees, reflected in the rates given here.
London SW7 4DN
|PP NOW 2015|
|Self funding (Non BPC, APP, ACP)||£ 125.00|
|BPC, APP or ACP member||£ 99.00|
|BPC Trainee||£ 63.00|
|Student (Non BPC)||£ 83.00|
|Paid by institution||£ 155.00|